Sunday, February 23, 2014

Beauty All Around Us…or Learning From Life

Sometime things that seem obvious, just pass us by in life, and we take them for granted, and miss the  opportunities that are all around us everyday.  As a parent, of many children, and a
home-schooler for almost 30 years,  I have had many wonderful experiences with my children, that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.  I have also had my share of missed opportunities, that were lost, just because I wasn't paying attention.


 As my youngest child turns 17 this June, I am very aware of the fleeting window called Childhood, and how quickly our babies become teenagers, and then move on to become who they are as adults, and to contribute to society, the gifts and convictions that we as parents, have sown in their formative years.
As a child myself, I discovered the beauty of the winged creatures of the sky.  I loved to wake up at dawn in the summer, and hear the symphony of singers, that were all around me, heralding the new day.  
I would go to the library and get out all the books I could find, to study and learn all their names, songs, and habitats.  My favorite Christmas was when I was 10 years old, and I got a Golden Guide to Birds, a bird feeder and seed, and a birdhouse to hang in the dogwood tree.  I can still see it today, the white birdhouse, hanging by a brown shoelace.
Many years later, as a Homeschool Mother, I was able to share my love of birds with my children. 
I began my home-schooling career way back in 1985.  Some of you probably weren't even born then!  I had six children at the time, ranging in age from two to fourteen, and knew nothing about teaching.   My son, Nathan was in the 4th grade, a perfect age to develop an interest in birds.  He and I did a Unit study on birds, and his interest was kindled for life.  One day I put some sliced ham in the maple tree near our kitchen window, and a red-tailed hawk swooped down and grabbed the meat.  
Nate was beside himself with excitement.  He began to keep a Lifelist of birds he had seen. We began bird watching regularly, and his natural “spotting “ ability was uncanny.
For many years, I would wake him up on his birthday at about 4AM, and he and I would go out bird watching to celebrate his birthday.  This was a very special time for both of us, as you can imagine in a family with 11 children, one on one time with Mom, was a rarity.
Over the years the study of birds was always part of our home schooling curriculum, and many of our children have enjoyed their time in the woods and fields, discovering the beauty that is all around us. 
Our daughter Seri also developed a real love for birds, and as a child of about six years old, she would stand out back near the feeders, holding seed in her mittens, and wait for the birds to land on her.  Somehow, they would always come to her, amazingly, without any fear.
Bird Girl----Seri Smalley 6 years old
Every spring on the farm, we have our “Birdhouse Tradition”. We always make birdhouses for the new season, to celebrate Easter and the coming summer.  David mills them up from scrap lumber, and all of us get together and make the birdhouses, and then paint the fronts to decorate them, each in a special way so each child (or adult), can express their own creative flair.



                                                                   








It helps keep down the blackfly population, but more than that, it is a Family Tradition, that feeds and nurtures the life and memories of our children.  It also encourages the beautiful tree swallows and blue birds, to come and delight us with their graceful flight and  lovely songs.


You never know what far reaching effects the time spent with your children will have.  My bird boy Nathan, is today a world class Nature photographer, (www.nathanielsmalley.com) whose photos defy the lens to ever capture such a shot, and delight the viewer with images of birds and wildlife that you would never see in a lifetime, on your own.
Immortal Beauty By Nathaniel Smalley
It was those early years of bird watching that led him to his life’s work, sharing his love of birds with the world.
Some of our favorite books to read from, were “The Burgess Bird Book” and “The Burgess Animal Book,” by Thornton Burgess, the “Roger Tory Peterson Bird Guides,” and the ever special “Golden Guide to Birds of North America.”
There are literally thousands of poems about birds that you could have your children read and memorize, also, many publishers have wonderful coloring books available for coloring birds. 
The possibilities are limitless, and your birding adventure will fill childhood with the sights and sounds that will thrill them for a lifetime, and deepen their appreciation of nature.
Seri Smalley and her 2 wild Morning Doves
I suggest you take some time with your children to discover “The Beauty All Around Us,” and develop a love for the Natural world and all of it’s diversified creatures.  
You, and they, will learn much from life, and will, as you learn, develop ties and memories that will always live in your hearts.


Happy birding……Happy spring!


By Susan Smalley
    For Elves and Angels














13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thank you Sue,
      you are our BEST supporter and cheerleader. It's good, because you get other people going. I guess that's the point of cheerleading! Thank you for all your help. love, Mom

      Delete
  2. I simply LOVE the tradition of waking your little to go bird watching on his birthday! What a magical thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Hannah.
      I wish we could still go out this year. My little birder will be 37 this month! It was a lovely time and so very special. I will treasure it forever.

      Delete
  3. This is a lovely post! Both of my girls, ages 4 and 2, are bird lovers. My 4 year old began bird watching with her grandparents when she was around 2. She has her own set of binoculars and bird identification book that she uses to keep track of how many different birds she has seen. She gets so excited any time she sees a different bird! They would LOVE your Beginning Birder Set :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WButera,
      Birdwatching is such a wonderful interest. It is a lifelong joy and can be done anywhere, city, country or the sea shore.

      Delete
  4. We have the perfect tree for this outside our kindergarten classroom. My students would be so excited to watch the birds. Who knows where it may lead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comment.
      Sounds like you are all set. All it takes is a tree, and a birdfeeder, and the excitement will be kindled!

      Delete
  5. Great write up! It reminds me of this saying of Archimandrite Vasilieios of Iviron Monastery: "beauty is not reckoned as a category of aesthetics, but rather as the divine grace and energy which holds together the universe."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Fr. Ian.
      I appreciate your love and your support.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post.
    I would love to win your birding set contest to help my children get interested in bird watching. We are a homeschool family and I think it would be a wonderful part of our zoology studies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin,
      I don't know who won the birder set, but even if you didn't win it, you can always study birds, and enrich the lives of your children. There are so many different types of birds, and so many categories of study, like habitats, nesting habits, bird calls, migration, and even types of foods, beaks, feet and feathers, and flight. You will never be at a loss of what to study when beginning a study of birds. With the internet, there is an unlimited number of resources available. Happy Birding!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the wonderful giveaways you do.... <3 Out Spring/Ostara tradition involves hiding baskets filled with homemade items for our two girls, and we usually try to do an egg hunt. I think we will leave out carrots and treats this year for the Ostara and her Hare heehee - I can feel new traditions starting already!

    ReplyDelete